Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Martha My Dear

It's a communication of some sort of affection but in a slightly abstract way - 'You silly girl, look what you've done,' all that sort of stuff. These songs grow. Whereas it would appear to anybody else to be a song to a girl called Martha, it's actually a dog, and our relationship was platonic, believe me. - Paul McCartney

On October 4th 1968, Paul McCartney recorded a new song for The White Album, Martha My Dearat Trident Studios, London; where Hey Jude was also recorded. On this day Paul recorded vocal, piano and drums. George Martin later added an orchestral score he'd composed. The track was completed the following day with bass and lead guitar played by Paul; who was the only Beatle to perform on the song, backed by a large number of session musicians.


Paul derived inspiration for writing the song from his sheepdog Martha.

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool. If I ever have a Beatles question, I know who to ask! :D

    Some years back I learned that Mother Mary in "Let It Be" was about Paul's(?) mom whose name was Mary. I'm thinking it was inspired by a sleep dream.

    All those years I'd thought Mother Mary was referring to Jesus' mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted my 2nd comment because it was a double post. Don't know how that happened. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, they just wrote about their lives and what they knew for the most part. People make so much nonsense out of their lyrics. Analyze them. Their lyrics were simple. Refreshing that I don't have to do a ton of research to write a good poem.

    ReplyDelete