Tuesday, April 9, 2019

If I Were Blind by Frank Criscenti

In honor of one of my favorite poets during National Poetry Month

FC 12/8/14

If I were blind
I could feel your spirit
if you were
across the waters
If I were senseless
I'd have a sense of you
You wash in the river
that flows to the sea
I feel you there
as the waves lap upon my feet
I can taste your presence
in the rain that falls.

I watched a blind boy
swimming in the ocean
calling to his father,
to sense his nearness
to the shore.
“How am I doing,” the blind boy called,
listening for his father's voice.
If I were blind
I could sense your nearness
even if you were silent
You are the ocean, the shore, 
and the voice.

The waves
fall on the sand
in murmurs
that sound like
the breeze amongst the trees.
I feel you
singing in my ear
in soft
loving
whispers.

No comments:

Post a Comment