Saturday, August 19, 2017

Thank goodness for angels ... 2-legged & 4-legged

Today I was walking our miniature schnauzers. We were only two houses away when I stepped on some sweet gum balls on the sidewalk, lost my balance, and crashed into the pavement. I twisted my right ankle and left knee and skinned my elbow and knee badly. It hurt a LOT. The problem with getting up was, since I'd hurt both limbs, there was no "good side" to push myself up with. I'm sure all will be fine, but the reason I'm sharing is how Cupcake and Coco reacted. 

They looked startled. Cupcake started doing circles beside me trying to figure out why I couldn't get up and Coco ran out into the street but not far. She came back immediately when I called her. Coco then lay down beside me on the sidewalk and curled up in a ball by my side while I was fighting back tears and wondering what to do next. Cupcake stood over me and guarded me. They were absolute angels. 

Just then, a kind lady slowed down on Lakeshore Drive, rolled down her window, and asked if I was ok. I said no. She asked if I needed help. Reluctantly, I answered yes after thinking I didn't want to inconvenience her. So, she drove her van into the driveway beside us, got out, and helped me up and then helped all three of us into her van. Another angel!

She drove us home—all the way up to the back gate—for which I profusely thanked her. Inside, the girls snuggled up beside me on the loveseat while I iced knee and ankle, and they didn't move until my husband got home. Cupcake is still guarding. Coco is the little black ball in the right bottom corner snuggled up against me.


I see now why once you have schnauzers, you feel you can't live without them. 

P.S. My friend, Kari, told me she also fell this week. She called 911 and they sent fire fighters to help her up at no charge. I will remember that and will try to remember to always take my phone when walking the dogs from now on. 

5 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for angels...2-legged & 4-legged.

    Sending thoughts fir a full recovery...
    xo


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks oneperson for a better title! You rock :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! So glad your dogs stayed with you and the lady with the van came along at just the right time.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. It was all rather miraculous.

      Delete